Old November 17th 19, 05:10 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
TMS320

Default Bikers perform citizen's arrest after spotting pickpocket stealwar hero's wallet

On 17/11/2019 09:26, JNugent wrote:
On 16/11/2019 15:36, TMS320 wrote:

On 16/11/2019 14:21, JNugent wrote:
On 16/11/2019 13:16, TMS320 wrote:
On 16/11/2019 11:43, JNugent wrote:
On 16/11/2019 11:19, TMS320 wrote:
On 15/11/2019 13:30, JNugent wrote:
On 15/11/2019 13:19, Bod wrote:

Strange that when I'm driving my car, I have no
problem observing cyclists clearly.

Half a mile away, in the dark, on dipped headlights?

When cycling it provides no benefit, and I have no
requirement or expectation to be seen from half a mile
away.

Not even at night, on a road where speeds of 60 or 70 mph are
the norm?

I don't cycle on 60/70mph roads.

Right, and that applies to every cyclist in the world, does it? I
had no idea that you had such power as an "influencer".

You're the one telling me what I should wear.

You're trying to change the subject.

The subject is not you. perhaps you think it should be, but it
isn't.

When driving on the type of roads that cyclists typically
use, speed limits and sightlines do not require me to see
them from half a mile away.

You cannot know that.

I do know that.

You cannot, so do not.

If you have that much trouble, please return your driving licence
before you harm somebody.

Trying to change the subject isn't a good tactic. Trying to change it
by posting gibberish is even worse. It isn't about me or about you.
That should have been clear, even to you.

I would refer you, though, to the case of a (female) cyclist
killed on the A23 a few years ago, cycling straight across a
grade-separated interchange by following the demarcation
line between the nearside through lane and the deceleration
line leading to a slip road. Or it might have been the line
between the acceleration and nearside lanes on the far side
of the junction. Being ultra-visible in such a situation is
crucial - *even* during daylight hours and hi-viz kelps even
on a sunny day.

A fascinating anecdote but I have no idea what it is meant to
demonstrate.

It means that there are circumstances where being visible from
as great a distance as is physically possible is not only
desirable but imperative.

You have no idea whatsoever whether visibility was the issue.

Visibility, sight lines and reaction times are always issues on
high-speed routes.

Indeed. But you have no idea whatsoever whether visibility was the issue.

But perhaps your view is that because you weren't there and "don't
cycle on 60/70mph roads", it doesn't matter. That'd be in line with
what you have posted above.

FYI, I do drive on them. Do you cycle on them?