Old January 5th 20, 01:40 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

Default Voiding the warranty -- Dyno Redux

After breaking my old Cannondale Disc CX bike, I got a replacement frame CAADX with a CF fork and aluminum steerer -- with a nice threaded hole in the back of the crown for a fender bolt but no hole in the front for my Luxos B dyno mood light. So, I was going to get a bar mount, but I like the light on the crown, so after doing a little research and while hallucinating on pain meds (from my little accident a week ago that netted a rib fracture which is really painful), I drilled a hole in the crown and tapped it 5mm. The fork crown is like aluminum billet, and Cannondale just drilled and tapped it for the rear bolt (no insert), so I did the same for the front. Works great, and there is so much material that I don't have any concern about a failure.

The SPPD8/Luxos B rides again, for what it's worth (which isn't a whole lot). I forgot to charge a few times last month, so I figured I'd lug it around as a backup. I had to bend that bracket in the vice to make it closer to 90 degrees and then shortened up my FD cable just to make sure all the housings weren't whacking the light. I'm going to check the crank tomorrow since it was making a bunch of noise when I last commuted to work and throw on the winter tires. I struggled around today on a short ride and figure I'll be ready to go back to commuting on Monday. Slowly and painfully. I need to start riding so people in the elevator stop asking me why I'm not riding. I get concern from people who I basically don't even know except that I ride the elevator with them.

-- Jay Beattie.