Old May 4th 11, 03:26 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent
Opus[_2_]

Default Should you wear a helmet while riding a recumbent?

On May 4, 3:58*am, Harry Brogan
wrote:
snip
Let's see......you don't wear one because you can't be flipped over by
hitting the front brake hard. *Hmmm......guess you only ride in your
backyard.

what happens if you are hit by a car? *What about if you happen to hit
the errant chuckhole that you didn't see?

I can only surmise that you are NOT an everyday rider and are only a
"weekend nice-weather warrior".

Sell your bike and place yourself in bubblewrap.

In the event of getting hit with a car helmet use has little to no
effect on head injury. Bicycle helmets are designed for a 12.5 MPH
impact, in TX the statutory lowest speed limit is 30 MPH for
residential streets, with the majority of through streets in my city
being 40 MPH or faster. In the event of being ejected from the bike by
impact with road defects the same criteria apply, the helmet is
designed and tested to a 12.5 MPH standard, which is my average urban
speed (bike computer average) when taking stop signs and red lights
into account. My cruising speed is substantially higher than that.