Old July 2nd 03, 06:26 AM
Zach Kaplan Cycles

Default Taiwanese recumbents

Tom Sherman wrote in message ...
Randy Schulman wrote:
The other two are versions of what I call "The Hurricane" (liked the
sea-weather theme) ; One is an above-steering version of their PB960
with two major upgrades: A 20" front wheel instead of their 16" wheel; I
think tiny wheels are deadly....

You have just alienated the entire ownership of ISO 305-mm/ISO 406-mm
wheel lowracers owners.

Tom Sherman - Quad Cities
Red Sunset and Blue Dragonflyer

I own a couple 305/406 wheeled low racers and don't feel alienated by
that statement. However just because one owns a Sunset doesn't mean it
is their prefered ride. My Sunset is collecting dust and I consider it
obsolete because my Bacchetta Aero with its dual 559 wheels is faster
on level ground, faster up hill, faster down hill, smoother riding,
better handling at high speeds, safer in traffic, lower rolling
resistance, lighter, has a more efficient drivetrain and is better
looking (all IMHO of course). As far as the wheel diameters go I'm
really becoming a believer in bigger is better. The small wheeled
compact lowracers like the Sunset only seem to have an advantage if
the rider is short or is trying to transport it inside a small
hatchback or a suitcase on an airplane.

My Sunset does also have an edge over my Aero for practical
transportation in terms of having a high capacity rear rack,
mudguards, fat tyre clearances and disc brakes. However for practical
transportation in the conditions where I'd need mudguards I prefer the
added safety and stability of a trike and for transportation in dense
urban areas I prefer the practicality and higher ride height of my HP
Velotechnik Street Machine GT which has a 406mm front wheel, 559mm
rear wheel and full suspension.

The Sunset is still a very high quality bike with many nice features
and was ahead of its time but I just don't see myself riding it much
anymore.

Zach Kaplan