Old June 23rd 19, 01:59 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sir Ridesalot

Default Ceramic drive chain

On Saturday, June 22, 2019 at 6:08:50 PM UTC-4, John B. wrote:
eOn Fri, 21 Jun 2019 08:02:50 -0500, AMuzi
wrote:

Snipped
In fairness, ceramic bearings aren't sold as 'light' so much
as 'way mo rounder'[1]. My beef with that is the efficiency
gain, given the surfaces they contact, is minuscule and a
chipped ceramic ball is shrapnel.

But are "ceramic" bearing known for chipping?

[1] as with mass, just because you can measure it doesn't
make it necessarily significant in every application.

--
cheers,

John B.

I don't know about ceramic ball bearings chipping but one time when I opened up the cup and cone bottom bracket of an older bicycle I bought used the steel ball bearings were mostly disintegrated as was the steel retainer that used to hold them. No wonder the guy couldn't keep that bottom bracket adjusted. LOL VBEG

Cheers