Old February 2nd 08, 11:23 AM posted to rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.misc,ba.bicycles
Jym Dyer

Default Dangerous bike lane obstructions in Redwood City

ISTM that there is rarely any bike lane benefit compared to
a wide outside lane without the bike lane stripe ....

=v= The wide outside lane (WOL) was piloted in San Francisco.
They had two effects:

(1) Wide lane! I'll double-park my car in it!
(2) Wide lane! I'll drive my car faster!

These effects don't work very well with each other, and for
bicyclists they are pretty much a worst-case scenario.

=v= I'm not saying bike lanes are better, but WOLs have not
proven themselves to be anything but a failure.
_Jym_