Old January 4th 20, 02:35 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
James[_8_]

Default Shimano Hollowtech lateral play

On 4/1/20 1:04 pm, jbeattie wrote:
On Friday, January 3, 2020 at 5:27:35 PM UTC-8, James wrote:
On a ride today on my gravel bike that came with Shimano gears, I
noticed movement in the BB area when I rode in much higher than
normal gears up a 10% grade. When I got home I investigated and
found that I can move the BB axle approximately 1 millimetre
laterally. Having just watched a video where a fellow removes the
cranks and BB axle from a bike, I am left wondering what controls
lateral play?

Now having watched another video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W3-c8tS12Ko I wonder, do I have
to buy some special shims and another special tool to adjust the
bearing preload?

(I've not had any prior experience with this Shimano BB, and a
similar problem doesn't exist for me with Campagnolo UT BBs that
also employ outboard bearings.)

You adjust preload by tighten the retaining cap ("fixing bolt").
Loosen the pinch bolts and tighten down the retaining cap. You can
look up the torque setting, but I just do it by feel, avoiding end
a counter weight, IIRC. If you tighten it down all the way, and there
is still play -- then you need some shims, which are readily
available. FYI, be diligent with the torque setting on the pinch
bolts, and tighten them alternately. It is possible for them to (1)
strip if over-tightened, and (2) come loose if under-tightened.

Thanks. Yes I will be torquing to spec.

How are the koalas doing? Any left? Save the koalas!

I'm sure enough will have survived to continue the species, but food
will be the next issue, seeing as how most of the trees where they
inhabit are leafless now.

https://www.statista.com/chart/20387/recent-wildfire-events-by-acreage-burned/

And it's still burning out of control, so the area burned will continue
to grow.

--
JS