Old January 17th 20, 03:43 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
jOHN b.

Default Really, really dumb

On Thu, 16 Jan 2020 18:48:26 -0800 (PST), jbeattie
wrote:

On Thursday, January 16, 2020 at 5:10:31 PM UTC-8, John B. wrote:
On Thu, 16 Jan 2020 07:26:00 -0800 (PST), jbeattie
wrote:

On Wednesday, January 15, 2020 at 8:48:36 PM UTC-8, John B. wrote:
snip

Actually I was talking about large magazines, which have been used on
.22 rifles for years. And I included a note (and labeling it so) that
large magazines had been used on one of the first repeating rifles
made in America, in 1860.

But not 100 rounds -- or more. Looking at it from a Second Amendment standpoint: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EM3vlPPNFVM AR-15 variants are fun guns, but at some point, fun has to be balanced against public welfare -- kind of like we do with drinking and driving and basically everything else in the world. We even crack-down on religion at some point: https://www.cbsnews.com/news/oregon-...healing-trial/

-- Jay Beattie.

I don't think anyone was thinking of a 100 round magazine.

While I didn't read all the various laws about magazine capacity the
few I did read used the number "10" as a sort of the dividing line.
However this was defined as a shoulder weapon as many commonly used
pistols today have a magazine holding more than 10 rounds. The Glock
19 for example, a very common choice of police departments, has a
standard 15 round magazine.

It might be interesting to know that a shotgun used for migratory bird
hunting, by federal law, is limited to 3 rounds, usually by use of a
plug in the magazine to restrict capacity to that number. I can't give
the specific date of this law but I have read that it dates to the
1930's.

Interestingly I have never heard anyone complain about that limit to
magazine capacity :-)

FYI, there are lots of weapons restrictions in connection with taking game in Oregon. See e.g. https://www.dfw.state.or.us/resource...ns/weapons.asp Oregon also has certain hunts that are only open for muzzle loaders, so going old-school pays dividends.

Max five round capacity for semi-auto center fire except hunting squirrels. The AR-15 is a squirrel rifle. Aim for the head. https://myodfw.com/big-game-hunting/...-gray-squirrel

-- Jay Beattie.

Historically one "barked" squirrels. Fired so the bullet grazes the
tree bark under the squirrel's head and kills by concussion and ruins
no edible meat which world be lost if you hit the squirrel dead center
with your .69 cal musket (which you maintain as part of your Militia
requirements :-)
--
cheers,

John B.