Old January 20th 20, 02:05 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Andre Jute[_2_]

Default Bicycles, pedestrians, and cars detected by microwave doppler radar.

On Saturday, January 18, 2020 at 1:15:18 AM UTC, AMuzi wrote:
On 1/17/2020 4:45 PM, Ted Heise wrote:
On Fri, 17 Jan 2020 13:42:52 -0800 (PST),
Andre Jute wrote:
On Friday, January 17, 2020 at 9:04:26 PM UTC, Ted Heise wrote:
On Fri, 17 Jan 2020 12:15:14 -0800,
sms wrote:
On 1/17/2020 8:10 AM, David Scheidt wrote:

snip

My car, and lots of newer cars, have blindspot sensors
that detect something in the 'blindspot' beside and
slightly behind the car. They light up signals on the
mirrors. If I turn the turn signal on, they flash (and
there's a beeper, if I try to change lanes, too). Both
the lighting up and flashing are visible to someone out
side the car. I see them come on other cars, when I ride
past them when they're stopped and I'm not.

In the past few weeks I've met with two large cloud service
providers regarding "smart city" deployment of IOT. One big
application for "smart city" is the use of various types of
sensors for traffic of all kinds, trucks, cars, bicycles,
and pedestrians. The privacy issue is one of the biggest
hurdles. Radar is less intrusive than cameras but cameras
have advantages. They will be used together.

Inductive loops are not going to be around for many more
years.

The camera usage is amazing. My car shows current speed limit
on the Car Play screen when I have Google mapping in use. It
is occasionally wrong; I'm pretty confident it comes over the
phone from some Google database.

On the other hand, my wife's Volvo shows the current speed
limit on the dashboard. It is always correct; I'm pretty
certain the value comes from a forward facing camera reading
the speed limit signs as they are encountered.

That's in any event a huge leap forward from when all Volvo had
(before any other cars) was a whiny nanny-voice telling you to
belt up.

I can totally relate. In addition to all the "safety" features
(like warnings when you cross a lane stripe without signalling, or
follow another vehicle too closely), my last car would lower the
fan speed when I received a call on the system. Called it the
nanny car.

It's said that for every room in heaven, there's one just
like it in hell for someone else. Automobiles as well.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

Nah, the Volvo wasn't a bad car. It was its makers who had the ****poor attitude that they were entitled to tell everyone else how to behave because the buyers of their cars were, of course, stupid. It follows that a maker with such attitudes attracted the dullest and least exciting and often outright offensive owners. I didn't care about that: I just wanted a safe car to transport the child. It helped that I wasn't the intended driver. Example: While the Volvo was stationary at a T-junction in Cambridge (in England, not the location of that jumped-up missionary college in Massachusetts) a trailer-truck drove over the front of it. Result, STG pounds 150 damage to the Volvo, but the truck was immobilised by having it's fuel tank ripped out.

Andre Jute
I know who'll be driving a Trabant in Hell