Old February 21st 19, 01:11 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

Default MIPS helmet

On 2/20/2019 6:58 PM, John B. Slocomb wrote:
On Thu, 21 Feb 2019 11:35:51 +1100, James
wrote:

On 21/2/19 5:54 am, AMuzi wrote:
just received this link

https://www.bellhelmets.com/cycling/...fusion-mips-19

Can they make one that you don't wear like a helmet? Oh, and not an
exploding neck collar that doubles as a helmet when it explodes.

I remember way back when the subject of helmets first became popular.
This was way back when that "pudding bowl" British helmet was in
common use. See below for pictu

https://www.bikebandit.com/blog/trac...orcycle-helmet

There were several articles in motorcycle magazines condemning the
visor on these helmets which was blamed on several motorcycle racers
having broken their necks in crashes. Now we have nearly every bike
helmet having a visor like forward projection. It makes one wonder
whether "style"enters into helmet design :-)

By the way, the reference from Bell Helmets above is:
"for riders who hold nothing back... if you are a rider who loves to
shuttle to the top and then shred all the way down, this helmet is
built for you. "

Bicycle helmet visors disappeared for several years for that
and also eye damage from shards of hard translucent plastic
visors. When visors returned, the current designs are softer
plastic and breakaway (falls off) design.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/