Old March 20th 10, 07:53 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Derek C

Default "Cyclist arrest after Camden tourist death"

On Mar 20, 7:34*am, Doug wrote:
Just to show how unbiased I am I report this very rare event. Of
course, a charge of involuntary manslaughter carries a maximum life
sentence but causing death by dangerous driving has a maximum of only
14 years. Odd that! Obviously you are much better off killing someone
with a car than with a bicycle.

"A 27-year-old cyclist has been arrested after the death of a tourist
who was knocked down by a pedal bike in London.

Scotland Yard said the man was arrested on suspicion of involuntary
manslaughter and bailed.

Marian Anderson, 56, from Denmark, was hit while crossing a road in
Camden on 21 February. She died in hospital from head injuries on 1
March.

Police said she was with her daughter, who is in her mid-20s, at the
time. The cyclist involved stopped at the scene.

The incident happened in Lidlington Place, at the junction with
Eversholt Street.

Ms Anderson was taken by ambulance to University College Hospital
before being moved to the National Hospital for Neurology and
Neurosurgery in London, where she later died.

The man was arrested on Friday after attending a police station in
central London, Metropolitan Police officers said.

The arrest was on suspicion of involuntary manslaughter by
recklessness and negligence.

He was bailed until a date in May pending further inquiries.

At least the cyclist had the decency to stop after the collision with
the fatally injured pdestrian, unlike some other reported cases of
cyclists colliding with pedestrians, although we don't know if he was
forced to do this by damage to his bike? Hopefully that will stand in
his favour if the case comes to court.

Del C