Old August 23rd 17, 03:59 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_2_]

Default Obstructions

On Tuesday, August 22, 2017 at 9:47:21 PM UTC-4, John B. wrote:
On Tue, 22 Aug 2017 06:12:27 -0700 (PDT), Frank Krygowski wrote:

On Monday, August 21, 2017 at 10:01:07 PM UTC-4, James wrote:
On my 66km ride today, along the edge of the road I saw a python maybe 2
metres long, a bearded dragon lizard, an echidna and several wallabies..

One of the wallabies made me nervous that it was about to dart across
the road at me. I braked a little in anticipation, but it turned and
headed away from the road instead.

I once had a groundhog - or maybe a woodchuck* - run along beside me as I was
on a ~25 mph downhill. He'd come out from my right & turned parallel to me just
a foot or so from my path as I passed him. I was very worried he'd turn left
under my wheels, but he somehow gathered the sense to turn right again.

(* or maybe a whistle pig.)

- Frank Krygowski

As I had never heard the term I did a search on "whistle pig".
apparently it is a rye whiskey made in Vermont :-)

From https://blogs.scientificamerican.com...ut-groundhogs/

1. A groundhog by any other name. Groundhogs are also variously referred to as woodchucks, whistle-pigs, or land-beavers. The name whistle-pig comes from the fact that, when alarmed, a groundhog will emit a high-pitched whistle as a warning to the rest of his or her colony. The name woodchuck has nothing to do with wood. Or chucking. It is derived from the Algonquian name for the critters, wuchak.

- Frank Krygowski