'think-tank') estimates that some 14 million jobs could be lost by
summer 2020.

https://www.usnews.com/news/best-sta...sses-by-summer
By states: California - Projected job loss:1,609,975 Washington -
317,721 Ohio - 505,380 Illinois - 551,061 and so on. -- cheers,

I think those are likely underestimates by 50% or more. Not only
millions of jobs but hundreds of thousands of businesses will go up in
smoke. Mine might be one of them. Millions of people face eviction or
foreclosure as they can't pay the rent or mortgage.

The right-wing delusional alternative appears to be to pretend it's not
a problem, do nothing, try to keep the economy purring along in the face
of a couple of million US deaths and tens of milions of deaths worlwide.
I guess that's an option, except the economy still collapses and
probably much harder since the wealthy will throw everyone else under
the bus to protect themselves.

Manufacturing has largely collapsed. The hospitality industry has
collapsed. Oil has collapsed. The housing market will collapse.
Unfortunately the virus doesn't give a ****. Every human is
susceptible, it seems that none are immune, and our best hope is to
delay as many people from getting it as long as we can.

And to surive more or less intact we bite the bullet. We replace
incomes of people whose jobs have gone away so they can pay their rents
and mortgages and have health insurance. Those of us who get to keep
our jobs and benefits- like myself and my wife so far- practice
gratitude rather than seeing it as people getting "something for
nothing." We replace at least some of the revenue businesses have lost
so they can pay their overhead and keep some of their employees on the
payroll. Massive debt? Yep. Avoiding wholesale economic collapse
might be expensive.

And why the hell hasn't Donald Trump offered his hotels to be used as
temporary hospitals, unlike some others? *That* would be leadership.
Although knowing the Trump Organization they'd probably charge the US
government full rate...

I went through the numbers and came up with an estimate of 33,000 or so people that could possibly die from the effects of civid-19. At the moment we have lost less than 15% of that and in another couple of weeks warmer weather will come on and people that aren't fighting 100 other health problems will be more resistant.

It is FAR more of a problem to lose your job than to be threatened with a relatively minor disease don't you think?

No, not if you're infecting people who will die, or your customers are infecting people who will die. Do you not understand the reason why certain businesses have been closed?

Remember that the larger part of the yearly 38,000 lives have been lost to the seasonal flu at this same time. Are you panicked because of the seasonal flu?

People under 60 comprise less than 3% of the covid-19 deaths and the average age of death from covid-9 is 80 years old. In the US the average age of death from all other reasons is also 80 years old. (actually using the group that is dying it would be 79 years old because women who usually live longer are underrepresented.)

What I'm saying is that the REAL threat isn't to the lives of American but to the economy. There is no reason to be running around in circles crying that the sky is falling.

You, as an individual, have a much higher chance of dying in an auto accident.

Despite all of the statistics that we now have a fairly tight hold on, we see resolute panic in people like Jay who I would really expect a great deal more of. Perhaps his health isn't all he says it is?

Or as Winston Churchill said, "We have nothing to fear but fear itself."

WTF? Winston Churchill? A fifth grader knows that was FDR. His first inaugural address.

-- Jay Beattie.

Jay, Winston Churchill said /everything/. Kept him pretty busy. Others
subsequently copied him. I thought all of Usenet knew that.

... or am I thinking of Ben Franklin?

Mark J.

Well, according to the Wiki Page:

Nothing to fear but fear itself may refer to:

A phrase from the 1933 inaugural address of Franklin D. Roosevelt
"Nothing to fear but Fear Itself", an episode of the television series The Golden Girls
"Nothing to Fear (But Fear Itself)", a song by Oingo Boingo on the 1996 album Nothing to Fear
"Nothing to fear but Fear Itself", an episode of the American-Canadian television series Painkiller Jane (TV series)
"Nothing to fear but Fear Itself", an episode of the Canadian television series Class of the Titans

Maybe I was thinking of the Oingo Boingo song. Or Francis Bacon, who actually said something different. Francis was a great orator. I remember him well.

I mean really, "the only thing we have to fear is fear itself" comes from FDR's speech. Most people don't know Francis Bacon from a bacon cheeseburger. And Churchill didn't say it. He said other great things, and some humorous things after Scotch number three at 10:00 AM. TK refuses to acknowledge FDR as a great leader because he was a communist Democrat.

-- Jay Beattie.

https://leadershipconfessions.typepa...ar-itself.html

In truth, Franklin D. Roosevelt used the services of numerous speech writers, according to Dr. Buhite and David W. Levy in their book entitled FDR;s Fireside Chats, published by the University of Oklahoma Press, 1992. In the Buhite and Levy text, the authors lists speech writers as Harry Hopkins, Hugh Johnson, Raymond Moley, Rexford Tugwell, Benjamin Cohen, Thomas Corcoran, Donald Richberg, Adolf Berle and others. They list his WWII writers to include the famous Pulitizer Prize winners, poet-Librarian of Congress, Archibald MacLeish and Broadway playwrite Robert (Bob) Emmet Sherwood--(4 times a Pulitizer winner.)

Yes, FDR had talented speech writers. What is your point -- assuming you have one? All presidents use speech writers. Trump has speech writers, although bad ones, and he prefers to go off script and descend into third-grade rants about how people are mean to him.

Now precisely who do you suppose would be able to steal a bit of Francis Lloyd Bacon - a poorly educated FDR with such strong communist leanings that he actually supported Stalin hence kept the US out of doing anything more than supporting Great Britain until Pearl Harbor made it clear that if you left Hitler go he would swallow the whole of Europe making him by far the strongest power in the world, or a few English majors educated in the classics?

Poorly educated FDR? Groton and Harvard. Okey-dokey. Do you think FDR didn't know the classics? Groton is still known for its Latin and Greek curriculum. And you're a dope if you don't understand why FDR and Churchill supported (but didn't trust) Stalin. Remember the "eastern front"? Also go back and read some history -- the Republicans were the isolationists, and FDR had to whip votes just to get lend lease passed.

Imagine if Trump were in charge during WW II, "Uh, I've heard that some of the Nazi guys are pretty bad, very bad, bad, but you know, there are good people on both sides. I've known some fine Nazi's, and you know, my Drumpf Plaza in Munich is probably the finest hotel in Europe. I've been told that by European people. Some of this Nazi stuff is just fake news, but my generals are telling me that maybe the Nazis are bad. You know, I've got kind of this natural talent for knowing when people are bad, and I don't know if my generals have that like me, so maybe those Nazis aren't so bad . . . etc., etc." He'd probably have Lindbergh as VP. England would have been lost.. You'd be speaking German or Japanese.

-- Jay Beattie.
Ads

Home - Home - Home - Home - Home