Old November 5th 19, 06:06 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

Default Basso Loto

On 2019-10-16 09:44, Tom Kunich wrote:
My Basso Loto was one of the final steel versions. It seemed to
have a perfect ride. However, since I took it apart to refinish
it I got the Lemond and between the ride of the Colnago CLX 3.0
and the ride of the Lemond Zurich made out of Reynolds 853 I will
have to test it again. In any case it will be my spare rider.

Presently I have the frame and fork in the powder coaters and
expect them to get around to it around the end of next week. I
was not enthused about the original colors of the Loto - Yellow
and Blue with a red highlight. So I'm having it a solid
"transparent blue" which they had a sample of when I was there. A
hot rodder was having his rims coated. I had been planning on
Candy Apple Blue but they had a hot rodder's transmission there
finished in that color and the "Transparent Blue" looked a little
cleaner.

These guys have gone from finishing store shelves and the like
to coating entire cars for hot rodders in the Trump economy. They
had a pickup truck there they were about to put in the oven while
I was there. It would cook to a metallic yellow.

After I pick the frame and fork up I will have to get a set of
Basso Loto decals, then coat the entire frame with clear. I
learned from the last try on the Pinarello and will use many very
light coats instead of a few heavy. And then have the bottom
bracket threads cleaned and the Campy headset that was in it
re-installed.

I just finished building a tubeless wheel up. The deep carbon
wheels are remarkably difficult to build. Off and on it took me
three days to get that thing properly centered and true when I
could build an aluminum wheel in a couple of hours easy.

Wow, you are really going all out when it comes to your rides. I am
the exact opposite. Both my MTB and my road bike have lots of
scrapes and are generally caked in copious amounts of dried mud.
Add in a few grease streaks and some vegetation mashed deep into
the works here and there. My wife thinks the bikes look disgusting
but then again this greatly reduces the chance of them being
stolen.

The money for the decals would in my case be invested in IPA,
Imperial Stout or something similar.

So you are a really tough guy then. It makes you proud? OK...oh wait
are you not the one who cleans his chain with inter dental brushes?
That is really girlisch...

No, that's smart. It milks a lot more miles out of a chain than other
mountain bikers on similar trails get.

.... effectively earning many cents per hour of cleaning time, I'll bet!

I thoroughly clean and maintain moving or mission-critical stuff, very
regularly. Chain, sprockets, brake components, bearings, lights et
cetera. Whether the downtube has mud caked on it or not is only a
cosmetic difference.

I'm trying to imagine a guy diligently cleaning and lubricating the
chain, sprockets, brakes, bearings, lights etc. while carefully
preserving the gobs of mud on his downtube.

The only way that works is if I switch my imagination to cartoon mode.

One major upside of a muddy-looking bike is that potential thieves
generally don't want that one. They go for another bike.

Sheesh. I'd just get a better lock. Or park my bike where I can keep an
eye on it.

But I know that we don't understand how terrible things are in your
area. Why, the mountain lions probably carry lock picks!

--
- Frank Krygowski