Old April 12th 19, 02:58 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Steve Weeks

Default Cyclists triggering red light cameras

On Thursday, April 11, 2019 at 6:07:18 PM UTC-5, AK wrote:

I see a lot of cyclists running stop signs.

That sets a bad example.

Andy

Yes, but running red lights is worse. I like the "Idaho Stop" (since 1982 in Idaho and adopted in Delaware in 2017), which allows treating a stop sign like a yield sign and a red light like a stop sign. Personally, while I will roll through a stop sign if the way is clear, I will remain stopped at a red light if a car is also waiting. Often, while I'm stopped, I will be passed by another cyclist.

BTW, in Illinois (at least) it is legal for a bicycle or motorcycle to proceed through a red light if there is no cross-traffic *and* 120 seconds have elapsed. This is only true in cities with a population less than two million, for some strange reason.