Old November 3rd 04, 05:38 AM
R15757

Ravi asked in part:

1. Wait behind a car and move when the car ahead goes. (take the lane)
2. Split lanes and go slightly to the front (may be right) of first car.

I have been doing #2 - my logic: if you wait behind a car, there will be
a car behind you - when the signal turns green, you are slowing down the
car on your back. Also, since you are the first one to start out on the
left turn, you can swing out wide (and to the right) allowing all cars
to turn and proceed.

What you want is a combination of the two--
line up behind the last car, but on the right part
of the lane. Keep an eye on the light and start
well, then drift a little right through the turn.
There is usually plenty of space in the void of
the intersection to do this, but also be mindful
of cars turning left from the other side of the
intersection.

Robert