Old November 3rd 04, 03:37 PM
Tim Howe

Ravi wrote in message news:1099446345.535654@sj-nntpcache-5...
Hi,
What is the best method when it comes to making left turns (with a
Left Only lane).

1. Wait behind a car and move when the car ahead goes. (take the lane)
2. Split lanes and go slightly to the front (may be right) of first car.

I nearly always do 1.

I have been doing #2 - my logic: if you wait behind a car, there will be
a car behind you - when the signal turns green, you are slowing down the
car on your back. Also, since you are the first one to start out on the
left turn, you can swing out wide (and to the right) allowing all cars
to turn and proceed.

If you are moving from a standstill, you should be able to accelerate
at nearly the speed of traffic up to about 20 mph. Which will almost
always get you through the intersection before you have to worry about
holding anyone up.

I try to avoid allowing cars to pass me in intersections at all costs.
For one thing it's illegal for them to do so. But far more
importantly to me, they obstruct other traffic's ability to see me,
and they block one of my "outs" in case of emergency. Through the
intersection I behave like a car, center of lane, moving at the speed
of traffic. If they can't squeel their tires as much as they'd like
due to my presence, tough.

Turning Left from the right of the lane gives limited "emergency out"
space. I try to ride in such a way that I always have somewhere to go
in the event that things suddenly go wrong.

Sliding between cars is also something of a bad idea. For one thing,
it ****es them off and encourages them to not think of you as a
vehicle. For another, it places you in a bad position as again, you
have very little "out" space.

If I am in the left lane on the road for any reason, I am in the
middle of the lane. The only reasons I will be there are for turning,
or to pass a slower moving or stopped vehicle. In either case I am
moving fast enough to keep up with traffic and so may take the lane.

Few scenarios i have found #2 not work well
A. when you are slowly passing all the cars on their right, the light
could turn green - you are lane splitting and the cars start moving!!

yes, this is bad!

B. When the traffic on right (lanes where traffic goes straight) is
moving fast (30mph) - it is down right dangerous.

again, take your lane, give yourslef more room.

i sometimes resorting to box turns when there is too much traffic going
straight that it is not easy to navigate to the left turn lane.

this is a fine option for really ugly intersections.

The only time I do option 2 is when I am rolling through an
intersection on a green, with limited traffic going straight,
significant traffic turning, and I am riding uphill such that I can't
get close to the speed of traffic. I don't like doing it, but if the
traffic is light enough I feel ok with it.

HTH

-Tim