Old April 9th 05, 10:45 PM
David Dermott

On Sat, 9 Apr 2005, Frans Smulders wrote:

We plan to visit Sweden next summer. What bike should I bring atb or
roadrace? What state are the roads in Mid-Sweden?

It depends what you mean by "roadrace" bike, what you want to do,
where exactly you are going.

I had no trouble with my touring bike and 700 x 32 tires on paved and
unpaved roads in central and southern Sweden. If you have 700 x 20 tires
there are still lots of good paved roads. I saw lots of "racers" training.

But Sweden is a large country by European standards, and even in
mid/south Sweden (south of 60 deg) there is a great variety of terrain,
Extreme southern Sweden (Skåne) is more like Denmark.

I've cycled in Sweden 3 times and would gladly go again if it wasn't
such a hassle to get there from here. Stories of my 1994 and 1996
trips on my WWW pages. I promise I WILL SOON complete the story of my 2002
trip :-)

--

David Dermott , Wolfville Ridge, Nova Scotia, Canada
email: