Old November 3rd 08, 06:49 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
bfd

Default Looking at 700C Tufo tires

On Nov 3, 7:02*am, " wrote:
I found this website recently and was looking at their 'Tufo' tires.

http://www.everybicycletire.com/Default.asp

It seems that there is a 'tubular/clincher' model and wondered if you
have an opinion on this type of tire?

I believe these are also known as "Open Tubulars." There's a similar
discussion going on at the Serotta board. Open Tubulars are described
as:

"Its basically a clincher tire with They are clinchers made using
methods used for tubulars. They take the casing (same stuff as for
tubs) and add a bead. The tread is then glued to the inflated casing.
I have been using Challenge open tubulars for a while, and they are
pretty nice."

Torelli has a decent description of what they a

http://www.torelli.com/tech/tires.shtml

Others call these tires nothing more than a marketing ploy to get
people to buy these type of clincher tires at a higher price.

I guess it comes down to what "advantage" do you get? True tubular
tires are supposedly rounder and lighter than comparable clinchers,
especially when you take into account the rims too. Do these "Open
Tubulars" have a "rounder" profile (for better handling)? Is it
lighter? If the answer is no to either, then its a waste of money.
However, if its a yes, then maybe there are some sort of advantage.

Also, I wonder if these tires are as easy to repair as clinchers? If
not, why not just get true tubular, and all of its "benefits?"