Old December 6th 19, 03:56 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Dan S. MacAbre

Default Does anyone know what you would call this type of washer?

AMuzi wrote:
On 12/6/2019 4:40 AM, Dan S. MacAbre wrote:
My missus had a caliper brake fall of her bike yesterday.
No harm done, luckily.* But between the caliper and the
frame was a rather handy washer that (mostly) stops it
migrating to either side.* Sadly, it was lost.* It's a
fairly thick washer with about thirty points sticking out of
each face around the circumference, so that it bites into
both surfaces when tightened.* It isn't like those star
washers that sit under a nut to stop it undoing - this is
meant to stop parts turning in either direction once they're
tightened onto it.* I would like to get a replacement, but
I've never seen them anywhere else, and have no idea what
they are called.

'Brake star washer', free to cheap at any LBS (new calipers ship with
extras). BTW it will work without a star washer just oil the faces of a
plain washer. Oh, and always use a nylok nut when it's not an allen
mount caliper.

Okay, thanks. I'd have thought that oil would allow them to move, or is
that the idea? It will definitely be going back on with a nyloc nut :-)