Old June 24th 09, 04:52 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Tom Keats

Default Have you been involved in an accident while cycling?

In article ,

We are particularly interested in understanding the factors leading to
accidents involving cyclists, with the subsequent aim of improving the
safety of cyclists on the road. We are now in the preliminary stages of
distributing a survey to various cycling groups and websites. Our aim is to
gain an insight into the factors surrounding any accidents that cyclists may
have been involved in when on the road. From such insight we hope to be
able to inform current policies regarding cyclist safety and consideration
on the road.

Look, that's already been tirelessly done, done, and done again.

The inter-vehicular problems mostly occur at intersections,
when ROW rules are ignored by one or both parties involved
in a collision. If drivers and cyclists afforded appropriate
ROW to each other, there'd be no problem. Trouble is, so
many of either camp don't even know what ROW is, so intersection
chaos ensues.

If you want "cyclist safety and consideration on the road,"
that's up to the motorized road users who pose the larger
threat to safety.

So maybe it'd be better if you aimed your "survey" at
car drivers instead of bike riders. Ask ~them~ how many
people they've killed or injured.

I hope you've become acquainted with the latest World Heath
Organization's stats on traffic-related deaths & injuries.
I can shove that down your throat if you'd like.

--
Nothing is safe from me.
I'm really at: