Old August 6th 11, 11:32 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.misc
Dan

Default Dangerous? Study: 77 to 1 benefit to risk

"T°m Sherm@n" " writes:

On 8/6/2011 3:37 PM, Dan wrote:
[...]
And the surest way to get people out of their cars and using bikes
instead is to create dedicated space and bike facilites from what is
now essentially space dedicated to cars - space that bicyclists may
have a *right* to use, but that die-hard cagers think is too dangerous
to ride in, and that cagers think belongs exclusively to them.

I prefer economic incentives to get people of of their giant cages -
an $8/gallon tax would be a start.

I'm all about that, too.

(Also, don't berate them as irrational cowards for their choice to
wear a helmet. It takes experience to develop a realistic concept
of the risk.)

And the uselessness of bicycle helmets.

My relevant experience is significant and leads me to a different
conclusion, even though I have a pretty good idea of the low risk
of head injuries, and of the limitations of a helmet to prevent them.

In any case, I was talking above about humoring the peace of mind that
fledgling bicyclists need to get on the road and eventually gain the
experience that will offer them a more realistic concept of the risk.
It's fine to offer them imformation that puts the risks and benefits
in context, but there is no subsititute for experience, and branding
them unduly fearful suckers won't encourage them to take the plunge.
If wearing a helmet is the placebo they need to get out there and to
stick with it, they'll find out that it's not so scary after all.

I feel no significant additional danger when I ride a
bike/trike/velomobile without a foam hat, but always wear a Snell
2010M certified full-face helmet on a scooter (powered, not push) [1]
or motorcycle.

Most of my bicycle rides are bareheaded, and when I rode motorcycles,
even that was sometimes sans helmet.

E.g. http://www.flickr.com/photos/19704682@N08/6003841817/in/set-72157627344771070/.

Neat bike. I would probably ride that bareheaded *and* barefooted.