Old May 23rd 12, 01:30 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Judith[_4_]

Default Cyclist sought after coach comes off worst

On Tue, 22 May 2012 16:48:59 GMT, (Tris) wrote:

In post "Partac"
wrote:

"Tris" wrote in message

In post "Partac"
wrote:

[...] The fact that the police were initially trying to trace the cyclist,
but he
apparently came forward would tend to support the use of registration
plates
for ID purposes.

Doesn't the fact the cyclist in this case came forward to speak to the
police clearly demonstrated that bicycle registration plates would have
been completely unnecessary?

Of course not - how many times have we seen examples being pasted on this
group where the cyclist just rides away never to be seen again?

But it would be one of those cases that would tend to support the use of
registration plates for ID purposes and not this particular one that you
have tried to put forward as an example. This particular one would be
better suited to be put forward by those who oppose such registration,
as an example of why registration plates are not needed.

Just because there is one cyclist with a sense of guilt it doesn't mean
that they all behave in the same way.

Next, then, I would have thought, we would at least need to know if
there are enough cyclists without a sense of guilt, involved in enough
serious incidents, who are never managed to be traced, to warrant the
introduction of bicycle registration. Even after that, we would have to
factor in all the other implications before coming to a final decision.

I have been involved with or witnessed a number of accidents with cyclists
where the cyclist buggered off smartish and did not provide their details

I have never, never been involved with or witnessed an accident with a
pedestrian, a motor vehicle, or a horse rider where the other party has
buggered off smartish.

The cyclists are carrying out our job for us in calling for registration and
regulation.