Old November 21st 09, 01:07 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
DougC

Default Tire-making, continued....

thirty-six wrote:

BTW if you dont use a weftless warp cloth, or nearly so, you
will likely be dissapointed with the results,. You may get your
required look but the performance will be poor.

I don't know what "weftless warp cloth" is.
Also, dictionary.com doesn't know, wikipedia doesn't know, and Google
cannot find me a picture of it either...... what exactly do you mean here?

I have a set of Big Apples I can't use because they won't
sit properly on the target bike's rims--the tire seats with a low spot
and I've never found any technique to help it. If the rubber ridge is
the cause of the seating problem and it's not necessary anyway, the
outside of it could be -carefully- trimmed off somewhat without harming
the tire.

Try the tyre in a different orientation to establish is the low spot
due to the tyre or the rim. Use plenty of french chalk// talcum.

I don't want it on another bike, and chalk ain't gonna help.
And every method I could find online has been tried and re-tried, in
various combinations and orders, several times. Big Apples simply won't
fit properly on Sun BFR rims.

I'll just have to use what I can find, at this point I doubt I'd find
anything quite like the "real thing" and making it myself doesn't sound
very practical.

Well the alternative I see are to either beg at the door of a tyre
factory / look in their waste or salvage from used tyres including
motorcycle and sports car tyres, you'll be lookin at the side wall for
v=clues.. So if you know of any domestic tyre manufacturers, perhaps
you could approach them for assembled casinggs or offcuts of casing
material.

Ha ha,,, -that's a good one.
Are there any tire companies that /aren't/ in China?
~