Old August 8th 19, 05:16 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

Default Trek/Bontrager Wavecell Technology Helmets

On 8/8/2019 2:38 AM, John B. Slocomb wrote:
On Wed, 7 Aug 2019 22:41:51 -0400, Frank Krygowski
wrote:

On 8/7/2019 9:45 PM, John B. Slocomb wrote:
On Wed, 7 Aug 2019 11:41:48 -0400, Frank Krygowski
wrote:

On 8/7/2019 2:31 AM, John B. Slocomb wrote:
... how else do you measure any sort
of speed of fireing in order to make a rule?

Hmm. Wow, that IS difficult. Because there's no possible way any
government official could take a sample firearm to a shooting range,
fill it and/or its magazine with its maximum round capacity, start a
stopwatch and see how many rounds could be fired in a minute. That would
be so darned complex!

Ah, O.K. So it is what is usually called "effective rate of fire" or
the number of rounds that can be fired in a specific length of time.

You've got it. See, it wasn't so hard.

But I used to shoot with a State Police Sergeant who used to shoot the
Practical Police Course (PPC) now called something different and he
could, with a S&W 6 shot revolver, fire 5 rounds, reload and fire 5
more in 10 seconds or less. The 5 rounds was simply because 10 rounds
was one target's worth.

If you extend that a little and disregard the need for aimed shots one
could probably easily fire 12 rounds in 10 seconds, or less, or about
72 rounds in one minute.

So is a firearm that can be fired 72 rounds a minute all right?

Since you're asking my opinion, I'd say no, it's not all right. Perhaps
in the hands of a law enforcement officer or an enlisted man. But I'd
say hunters or those who fancy themselves home defenders have no need
for that. Why _would_ you realistically need that?

But Frank, this is a standard S&W revolver, just like the ones that
have been manufactured for what? a Hundred and sixty years?

And now you say that they should be banned?

Why not?

Limiting that
speed to say, five or ten rounds in a minute would be no inconvenience
to any hunter or target shooter. In my view, the most likely reasons
firing more rounds in one minutes would be a) to kill people in a crowd,
or b) to pretend to kill people in a crowd. We don't need either of those.

But Frank, the standard "bulls eye" match consists of Slow fire - 10
rounds in 10 minutes, Timed Fire - 5 rounds in 20 seconds and Rapid
fire - 5 rounds in 10 seconds.

Thank you, John. As my favorite seven year old could explain, that could
be done by a firearm that shoots no more than ten rounds in one minute.

(In case we couldn't _bear_ to change those rules to help reduce gun
mayhem.)

But Frank that is a record, fired with a standard S&W revolver. Are we
to ban all revolvers?

My idea would be: You can keep your revolver if it's fitted with a speed
limiting device.

How in God's World will you fit a timing device to as rudimentary
mechanism as a revolver.

I'm going to assume that's a joke.

Ah well, I guess we can throw away all the revolvers made since the
1800's.

If you love to look at it, put it in a locked case. If you love to
fondle it, modify it so it can't shoot. You'll be all right. Really!

The [2nd] amendment is clearly worded and is rather exact for
the period in which it was written. You are simply arguing that
"things have changed" since 1791 and so we ought to chuck out the Bill
or Rights? Or do you mean simply the parts that you don't agree with?

You are the "things have changed" phrase on its head here!

For 200 years, the Supreme Courts held that the phrase "A well regulated
militia" was a critical part of the 2nd amendment - that the right to
bear arms was related to or contingent on militia membership. Only in
2008 did so-called "conservative" justices overturn that logic. It was
the complete opposite of "originalist" judicial philosophy that so many
conservatives espouse.

Nonetheless, in today's column George Will - who, in case you forget, is
an intelligent conservative writer - notes that the Heller decision
"permits many measures regulating certain kinds of weapons and
ammunition magazines." I'd say among those are 100 round magazines,
extended rapid fire, and other quasi-military features that have no
practical civilian use.

--
- Frank Krygowski