Old September 11th 09, 05:01 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Brimstone[_8_]

Default What is a cyclist?

Tom Crispin wrote:
On Thu, 10 Sep 2009 23:56:07 -0700 (PDT), Doug
wrote:

I would certainly class myself as a cyclist over motorist.

But what you have to take into account, Tom, is that motorists do
feel a little guilty these days of greater environmental awareness
and maybe take refuge in cycling as an excuse. What better greenwash
than to be regarded as a regular cyclist while sneaking around
furtively in your car!

I am a regular cyclist.

I wouldn't class bombing up to Scotland on the M6 at speeds of up to
60mph as being furtive, or even charging down to the south of France
and into northern Spain, having booked my car onto the shuttle train
service under the English Channel.

Surely a truly green cyclist would never dream of using a car?

What I certainly do not do is use my car for journeys under 10 miles
that can reasonably be commuted by bicycle.

I think that I have only used my car five times so far this year, one
of which was for under five miles, but I did have five children's
bicycles in the boot.

Why didn't you use your trailer?