Old November 1st 17, 10:00 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Doug Landau

Default To cycle is to live dangerously...[

On Tuesday, October 31, 2017 at 8:34:37 PM UTC-7, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On Tuesday, October 31, 2017 at 11:07:38 PM UTC-4, John B. wrote:

Some of our clients demanded certain qualifications - Degree in Civil
Engineering with experience in constructing highways in primitive
areas - while in other cases they relied on us to supply qualified
people.

And speaking of Civil Engineers, lots of work that affects public safety
requires a licensed Professional Engineer's involvement. Getting a PE license
is far from easy, and if you don't have the relevant college degree (plus work
experience) there's little point in applying.

- Frank Krygowski

You are talking about engineers. Tom is talking about programmers. Most programs don't require any engineering or rigidly disciplined thinking to create. Some do of course. But the tech companies are full of others with engineer in their title who are really technicians - like myself at present, as a Linux admin. But I was a programmer for 30 years and never learned anything at all in coleg beyond assembly language. I just read code and documentation and then do something akin to stringing beads.

Well usually, anyway. I did make some cute and elegant design decisions in writing the C program that created this map: http://tinyurl.com/dougsrace.. But given what I said above, it doesn't take much to tickle me. I tend to think I'm hot **** for having copied the steep and shallow line drawing algorithms verbatim from Foley and van Dam.