Old January 16th 19, 11:48 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Default What is the point of tubeless tires?

On Tuesday, January 15, 2019 at 5:40:34 PM UTC-8, Mark J. wrote:
On 1/14/2019 2:34 PM, jbeattie wrote:
On 1/11/2019 9:11 PM, wrote:
Seriously, what is the point of these things? What problem do they solve and is it worth the extra maintenance hassles for non-racing riders?

Well, if I'm reading the reviews correctly (and notwithstanding Joerg's experience), they do offer excellent flat resistance with appropriate sealant. TK seems to be the only person who has used them, AFAIK, and the rest of us are just re-posting reviews. I think this one sums it up, and its from a reputable source:
https://www.bicyclerollingresistance...eless-clincher I think for racing, I'd go with a latex tube or sew-ups, but for a winter commuter, tubeless with sealant might be a great way to go -- although I'm in no hurry to change. I don't get that many flats -- usually.

[snip]

"Odd notes: unfortunately the tires are not tubeless ready. Odd, especially since Michelin pioneered tubeless tech in the mountain bike side of things. When pressed for the reason why, we were told that although they have “a solution”, they “are just waiting for market demand to grow.” Although they spoke of increased performance with their latex tubes, Michelin does not import the inner tubes in America."

Not many flats here either, and I wonder if the sealant loses any
effectiveness in low temperatures. Truth be told, fear of an ugly mess
(even if due to operator error) makes me uninterested in trying.

I was going to correct you (or whoever you were quoting) about Michelin
latex tubes sold in the US, and then I see that neither
BikeTiresDirect.com nor Universal Cycles stocks Micheline latex anymore.
Is that a recent change?

Mark J.

https://www.probikekit.co.uk/tyres-t...ner-tubes.list