Old May 31st 20, 04:36 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
news18

Default So much fr a growth in bicycle riding from the pandemic.

On Sun, 31 May 2020 09:08:17 +0700, John B. wrote:

On Sun, 31 May 2020 00:36:25 -0000 (UTC), news18
wrote:

On Sat, 30 May 2020 07:30:46 -0500, AMuzi wrote:

On 5/29/2020 11:43 PM, news18 wrote:
On Sat, 30 May 2020 10:41:31 +0700, John B. wrote:

On Sat, 30 May 2020 02:00:34 -0000 (UTC), news18
wrote:

On Sat, 30 May 2020 06:00:08 +0700, John B. wrote:

On Fri, 29 May 2020 12:49:36 -0000 (UTC), news18

wrote:

https://www.bbc.com/news/technology-52832791 Uber is destroying
thousands of electric bikes and scooters, after selling its Jump
business to Lime.

Videos of its red bikes being crushed at a US recycling centre
were shared on social media, angering cycling advocates.

Uber said it had decided to destroy thousands of its older-model
vehicles due to maintenance, liability and safety concerns.

In the UK, Uber continues to operate Jump and has not scrapped
any bikes.

https://tech.slashdot.org/story/20/0...uber-destroys-
thousands-
of-bikes-and-scooters

An anonymous reader quotes a report from the BBC:
Uber is destroying thousands of electric bikes and scooters,
after selling its Jump business to Lime. Videos of its red bikes
being crushed at a recycling centre were shared on social media,
angering cycling advocates. Uber said it had decided to destroy
thousands of its older- model vehicles due to maintenance,
liability and safety concerns.

But, "so what"? Don't the bikes belong to Uber? Can't one do what
one wishes with one's own property?

It is a social good question/morality.
Do you throw every thing into municipal rubbish dumps, or do you
distribute it to charities that might obtain some use of it?

I would have to say that it is my property than I have the right to
dispose of it in any manner I wish.

Typical first world arrogance. And wrong, unless you live in s ****
hole of a country.
Most modern countries have laws about safe disposal of property, so
after that, you are free to be an asshole/asrsehole if you wish.
Paying it forward could be a wise investment.

I'm with Mr Slocumb. You missed the principle. Without property rights
there is no liberty.

I didn't miss the principle. As I said, you are free to be an arsehole
if you wish.

You mean being an arsehole for doing as I want to with my own property?
What an amazing attitude.

No, from your attitude. Of course, given your attitude toyour right,
you'll be as stupid as tommy in understnding the point.

Oh Well. You will, please, get rid of your bicycle as I decree that you
no longer require it. I have decided that you just aren't "the bicycle"
type at all. Feel free to disassemble it, destroy it donate it to the
needy, whatever, but get rid of it. Immediately!

As I said, it is your attitude that is the problem and your inability is
clearly demonstrated above.