Old September 18th 03, 03:20 AM
Buck

Default Anybody use one of those bicycle "trees"?

"Pat" wrote in message

Okay, I now have 3 bikes in my dining room. I need to get one of those
bicycle trees to take control of this. Has anyone had experience with

the
models that are shown in Nashbar or Performance? I am leaning toward the
aluminum one that fastens to the ceiling with spring pressure, but the
wooden one is more attractive.

After perusing the pictures for a while, I spent less than $20 for some 1" x
4" lumber and some bolts and made a wooden lean-to of my own. No power tools
involved - just a hand saw, miter box and a hand drill. Make sure you get
the angles right and for safety's sake, put something grippy on the feet so
the whole contraption doesn't slide away. I used my favorite - rubberized
shelf liner from wal-mart. I also put some on the two cross planks so it
wouldn't mar the wall. If you have a full-suspension bike, then get a couple
of hooks normally used for hanging bikes in the garage and bend them to a
good angle for holding the frame. Then screw them into the ends of the
boards you would use to hold the bike.

I used this setup in my living room for a couple of years. Then I got
married and moved to a house with a garage!

-Buck