Old August 30th 18, 09:29 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
TMS320

Default Interesting Article On How Cars Took Over the Road

On 30/08/18 19:32, JNugent wrote:
On 30/08/2018 15:20, TMS320 wrote:
On 30/08/18 14:25, JNugent wrote:
On 30/08/2018 00:19, TMS320 wrote:
On 29/08/18 20:56, Bret Cahill wrote:

This 4 year old article finally appeared in the U. S. media with
little attempt to hide the plagiarism:

https://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-26073797

Visiting your side of the water a couple of years ago, I found the
larger towns and cities very walkable. Probably because they tend to be
in grids, there usually isn't much reason to cross except at
intersections. Roads are wider so th ecrossing time requires larger
gaps between vehicles but, compared to the UK, intersections with
sidewalks are better marked and, unlike the UK, drivers give way
when turning.

The drivers and riders of motor vehicles - and cyclists - are obliged
to give way to pedestrians crossing any road into which they are
turning in both the UK and the USA. The American right (in most
places) to turn right against a red traffic light does not undermine
that.

Obligation and practice are not necessarily the same thing.

My observed experience is clearly different from yours. Drivers in the
UK and the USA do generally give way where they are supposed to, subject
always to the fact that a small minority either flout the law or are
ignorant of it.

If only one could say the same of cyclists, the majority of whom appear
oblivious to this and most other traffic rules (that's putting it
charitably).

Since you don't walk far how would you know?