Old August 31st 18, 01:51 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.transport
JNugent[_10_]

Default Interesting Article On How Cars Took Over the Road

On 31/08/2018 13:13, NY wrote:

"JNugent" wrote:

The drivers and riders of motor vehicles - and cyclists - are
obliged to give way to pedestrians crossing any road into which
they are turning in both the UK and the USA.

Being obliged to give way to pedestrians who are actually crossing (ie
they're already in the road) makes a lot of sense, on a best-endeavours
basis if not a legal obligation,

It is a legal obligation.

just as you would do you best to avoid
someone crossing anywhere else. But does UK and US law actually require
you to stop for someone who is waiting on the pavement to cross: is
there a portion of every road junction which has *implicit*
zebra-crossing rules?

Not to my knowledge. I usually allow pedestrians to cross at junctions
or when they've already crossed from the opposite kerb to a centre
refuge, etc.

As a pedestrian, I would never step off the pavement unless I could see
that the road was clear: I would never *make* a car stop for me with the
single exception of a zebra crossing.

Same here.