Old May 7th 07, 07:39 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
(PeteCresswell)

Default Disk vs. V-Brakes

Per Tosspot:
Eh? I thought (I'm no expert here) that hydraulic disk brakes actually
had *less* maintenance than their cable counterparts. No cable stretch,
no need to lube, no frayed ends. I'm assuming mineral oil of course.

Bleeding comes to mind.

Why mineral oil "of course"? BCO water take-up by brake fluid?

I've got a hydraulic on the front - where the better modulation
is a significant benefit for me - and a mech on the rear.

Couple reasons for putting the mech on the rear, but one of my
after-the-fact rationalizations is that the different medium
gives a little more bullet-proofness. Never had - and still
don't have - a clue why this might be, but I assume that there
are variables that I know nothing about.
--
PeteCresswell