Old December 17th 03, 04:34 AM
psycholist

Default Those bicycle builders big mistake!

"frkrygow" wrote in message
Garrison Hilliard posted teh article:

Wilbur and Orville Wright's great mistake

I liked this part a lot:

With the exception of musical instruments, the bicycle may
be the most human machine ever invented.

But what's this???

The most interesting scientific fact about the bicycle is that when you

get up a
head of steam its center of gravity is actually in front of the place

where the
front tire meets the road. The greater the angle of the front fork, the

farther
forward the center of gravity is. That's why you can ride a bike with no

hands
---- because it keeps falling forward toward its center of gravity. As

you slow
down, the center of gravity comes back, and when it's behind the place

where the
front tire meets the road, you fall over. Or put a foot down.

Whew!! That's a contender for the most nonsensical thing I've ever seen
published!

Journalism majors don't take Physics, do they?

The nonsensical things in this story began far before that remark. "In the
history of mankind, I cannot think of a single case of a bicycle doing
anyone harm ... " Of course you can't. It's an object. So is an airplane.
On their own, neither the bicycle, nor the airplane are capable of doing
anyone harm. The problem is with mankind, not with the machine. But it's
typical that someone would project the sinister deeds of man IN a plane onto
the plane.

Anyone who buys into this drivel must be mindless. Watch Discovery Wings on
cable or satellite TV, or read a book about the Wright Brothers'
achievement. It's really quite remarkable. Stunningly remarkable. It's
not just a story of incredible ingenuity, but also one of remarkable
determination and commitment to excellence.

I was a journalism major in college. Fortunately, I decided to get a real
life and to really achieve something instead of just retelling the
achievements of others ... or just tearing them down.

Bob C.