Old May 7th 06, 12:54 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Default I crash into religion

On Sun, 07 May 2006 07:23:42 -0400, Peter Cole
wrote:

landotter wrote:
Wooden bridges are deathtraps. The slime that builds up on them can be
a terror as well. Last fall I took a spill on one due to similar loss
of traction. One second I was spinning nicely, the next I was laying on
my hip going WTF?? I got a hip bruise and lost a couple nice old
Cinelli end plugs. Damn you bridge!

Now I slow down and only coast across wooden bridges unless I'm
positively sure they're dry.

You'll heal up fine. I've taken a couple to the face, including going
headfirst into a snowbank at night, losing my glasses in the snow, and
having to ride home, one-handed to keep the blood from gushing out my
eyebrow. Fun for all! Commuting as extreme sport! w00t!

It shouldn't be a blood sport. Not every accident is avoidable, but most
are, including this one. Bike paths often have unique hazards, traps for
the unwary. How many more crashes will be caused by this particular
situation? I hope the OP reports this.

Dear Peter,

(AP-Pueblo, CO)

"Authorities were informed of a recent 6 a.m. bicycle crash
involving a rider who slipped and fell at 25 mph on a
dew-covered wooden bridge that had recently been
re-painted."

"Signs, warning that any surface may be slippery when
covered with early morning dew, are being posted at 100-foot
intervals along the 20-mile ride."

"In related news, Carl Fogel announced that he was damned
glad that Paul Cassel wasn't hurt worse."

"Mr. Fogel added something incoherent about being up at an
ungodly hour himself, having been struck by a thought about
hanging a biccycle wheel from its upper spoke in an
unrelated spoke-testing thread, stated that the accident
confirmed his long-held opinions about early rising, and
went back to bed at 5:52 a.m. MST."

Cheers,

Carl Fogel