Old October 25th 14, 12:56 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B. Slocomb

Default Not much needed in a "Be Seen" light

On Fri, 24 Oct 2014 23:25:23 -0400, Frank Krygowski
wrote:

On 10/24/2014 8:29 PM, John B. Slocomb wrote:
On Fri, 24 Oct 2014 11:49:57 -0400, Frank Krygowski wrote:

IIRC, the UVC now has statements
explaining situations in which bicyclists don't need to be at far right.
Some states (like mine) have generous lists of examples of such
situations written into law, along with statements indicating there may
be other valid reasons.

Unfortunately, there are some areas whose laws have not progressed
beyond the 1950s. More unfortunately, there are motorists and cyclists
whose thinking has not progressed beyond the 1950s.

Yes, I know. But the idea of riding out in the middle of the road at
less then half the speed of overtaking traffic is not one that I would
recommend as it places the responsibility for one's safety completely
on the shoulders of others.

In fact, I described a case of someone "taking the lane" in which 2
out of the four riders were killed on the spot and the other two taken
to the hospital.

If I remember, you said something like, "well they shouldn't taken the
lane under those conditions."

Sorry, I don't remember that discussion. It's true that certain
conditions may make a central lane position unwise, but IME those
conditions are quite rare.

Since "taking the lane" involves riding out in the middle of the road,
in traffic traveling perhaps two or three times the speed of the
bicycle, it appears that the mind set here is, "Oh, I'm out here where
they can see me so they won't hit me". But at the same time we are
bombarded with news stories talking about an auto hitting a bicycle
while the driver are texting, looking in the mirror to put on
lipstick, etc.

Are we really "bombarded" with those news stories? Or would it be more
accurate to say they sometimes trickle in?

Err... Frank, didn't James just post some statistics, from Australia,
that showed that something like 40% of bicycle deaths were the result
of being struck by a vehicle traveling in the same direction?

But the point isn't that it is rare, or common as dirt, the point is
that if she doesn't see you are very likely dead.

Anyway, ISTM that if a motorist is texting, putting on lipstick or
whatever, they are as likely to hit a cyclist a few feet to the right as
a cyclist who is more conspicuous, directly in front. They are even more
likely to do so if they think "Oh, I can squeeze through there." We do,
after all, get a similar trickle of news stories in which bike lane
cyclists are hit from behind.

Again, the real question is how do we best discourage those incidents.
Those who have tried only hiding at the edge are sure that must be the
best way. Those who have tried riding more prominently have learned
that it's better.

Well Frank, you may be all tied up in how to discourage these things
but my major interest is in not having it happen to ME.`

(and I suspect that, for all your bravado here, when you are out there
all alone on the highway, that is your main interest also)
--
Cheers,

John B.