Old October 25th 14, 01:00 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B. Slocomb

Default Not much needed in a "Be Seen" light

On Fri, 24 Oct 2014 19:43:51 -0700, Joe Riel wrote:

Duane writes:

John B. Slocomb wrote:
On Fri, 24 Oct 2014 08:42:04 -0400, Duane
wrote:

On 10/24/2014 7:58 AM, John B. Slocomb wrote:
On Fri, 24 Oct 2014 03:17:06 +0000 (UTC), Duane
wrote:

John B. Slocomb wrote:
On Thu, 23 Oct 2014 22:55:09 +0100, Phil W Lee
wrote:

Joerg considered Wed, 22 Oct 2014
15:32:31 -0700 the perfect time to write:

Clive George wrote:
On 22/10/2014 17:59, Joerg wrote:

In many areas you cannot. Riding too far into the lane can trigger
numerous nasty things. Most of all drivers getting angry and eventually
passing you at very close range, to "show you who is king of the road".
Also a costly ticket from the local sheriff/police for impeding traffic.
In some legislations it's even illegal to ride anywhere than the far
right.

What are you doing about that? Insisting that paths are the only safe
places to ride isn't going to give them any incentive to change that law
- rather the opposite in fact, and you're still going to have to ride on
the road at some point.

Those laws won't change no matter what.

They did here.
See the Daniel Cadden case, where it had to be appealed to the House
of Lords to get a firm legal decision that cyclists are traffic, have
a right of way on the roads, and have the right to choose their own
positioning on the road.

That was after the police attempted to prosecute him for "causing an
obstruction" because he had the temerity to use the road on a bicycle
in front of them.

Set your self up as a test case if you like - fight it all the way to
the highest court in your country, and you can win too, as Daniel did.

I believe that in the U.S. most, if not all states, specify in their
traffic codes that a bicycle is a vehicle and has the right to use
public highways and apparently have had since the middle or late
1800's.
--

He's talking about bikes with unrestricted lane position.
I think you'll find in most states bikes are required to keep to the right

John B.

As far as I remember there was always, at least as far back when I was
16 years old, a law that required slower traffic to move to the
extreme right side of the road. In fact I can remember signs posted
saying "Slow traffic keep right".

So regardless, a bicycle thundering along at 15 mph would be required
to stay on the right so not to impede other traffic.

I remember when there were still a couple of old fellows left that
were still driving a horse and buggy to town to do the Saturday
shopping and they certainly stayed pretty close to the edge of the
roads.

Right. It seems that many of us remember this and think that it hasn't
changed. Some of us apparently don't believe it though.

My final and all encompassing "traffic" law is "Don't get hit!"
--
Cheers,

Defensive riding succinctly stated. Works for me.

Yo're confusing results with methods.

No, I distinctly remember, way back in high school, a class in
"defensive driving" that was part of the new "Driver Training" course
that the school set up.
--
Cheers,

John B.