Old June 11th 07, 10:32 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Peter Scandrett

Default Cycling Norwich to Wales

TerryJ wrote on 11/06/2007 22:18:
I think he nipped down to the library to study the OS maps but then just
photocopied a road atlas with a proposed route highlighted linking
pre-booked B&Bs. It was fine, I think, apart from the canals not being

Did he/you check out the cyclabilty of the canals before going? How?

No :-)

The canals weren't supposed to be on the route as such, but we knew the
Llangollen and Montgomery were around. We crossed it and thought we'd
follow it; the atlas, however, showed only part of the canal.

It's difficult to describe but basically we thought we'd follow a canal,
as per marked on the map. Turned out the map didn't actually mark the
canal properly so we ended up going in the wrong direction.

We spotted it with my GPS (hurrah for new-fangled gadgets pretending to
be a compass!). We weren't lost as such, more not where we wanted to be!

Peter

PS IME the towpaths of BW-maintained canals are generally pretty good.

--
http://www.scandrett.net/lx/
http://www.scandrett.net/bike/