Old July 29th 04, 04:12 PM
Richard Amirault

Default Avocet Touring Tires

"Don DeMair" wrote ...
I'm looking for a good touring tire. One that will be puncture resistant,
especially in the rain. I've tried the Specialized Armadillo and was

pretty
happy with it, I may buy it again. The other tire I tried was the
Continental Top Touring. I found this tire to ride a bit harsh.

I would prefer a slick tire (without a tread pattern) because I think the
inverted tread actually catches debris and may lead to more flats. I also
don't believe that tread pattern does anything to improve wet or dry grip

on
the road. And I don't use my touring bike off-road.

I use the Avocet Cross Kevlar for commuting on my mountain bike for years ..
works great .. never got a puncture.

While a slick tire would certain improve traction on dry roads ... I don't
see why you think a tread won't improve wet road traction ... unless your
tire "contact point" is so small and your speed is so slow that you would
not hydroplane in puddles. In the automotive (and motorcycle) world the
main (if not the only) reason for tread in a street tire is for wet weather
use.

Richard in Boston, MA, USA