Old August 21st 05, 12:45 PM
Bob

Default Warning: H*lm*t content

Bob Everyone do what they want, legally or otherwise, I will
Bob continue to wear a helmet that may save my life.

That's a very big may.

It's no loner a "may save", its a "won't " if you're not wearing one. And I
know it is a big may.

I prefer not to entrust my safety to what is
essentially a piece of polystyrene designed to absorb the kinetic energy
of a fall from head height. That's all it does.

I don't entrust my safety to anyone or anything but myself. I am no more or
less paranoid about cars and trucks around me on the roads with or without a
helmet. I just hope it may make a difference if - even for just a minor off
on the bike path. Just like I value air bags in a car but don't expect them
to save me if I drive face-long into a Mack track hood ornament, hopefully a
helmet can make a bit of a difference. Don't underestimate the effect of
kinetic energy on your brain - every bit absorbed helps.

I think the statement "the more cyclists there are, the more motorists are
aware of them and the more carefully they drive" is the conclusion that
needs addressing in a more positive way.

I do not want to see my kids riding on the footpath or roads without
helmets. That would be difficult to encourage if there were no helmet laws
("look at that bad man without a helmet, I wonder if the police will catch
him" :-o). And kids tend to have many more falls (and softer skulls) where
the helmet can make a big difference.

cheers
"paternal softening in progress"