Old September 4th 06, 01:05 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Mike Rocket J Squirrel

Default Bearing adjustment, SPD pedal

Wayne Pein wrote:
Mike Rocket J Squirrel wrote:

For Back To School, I gave my purposely crummy school bike the
bi-annual once-over inspection and noticed that one of the PD-M505
pedals was feeling pretty loose on its bearings so I took it apart. I
popped off the plastic end cover and exposed a 10mm stopnut. It was on
pretty tight, and I had to clamp the pedal in the vice and use a
10-inch socket wrench handle to get it off.

Under the stopnut is the bearing cone that accepts a 13mm wrench -- or
it would, but all of my 13mm sockets are too fat to get in there.
Anyway, the cone turned off with a little screwdriver poking and I
took everything apart and gave it all a cleaning.

Now I'm trying to figure out how to assemble it properly. The socket
used to tighten the stopnut fills the opening so that I can't grab the
bearing cone and prevent it from over-tightening when I tighten the
stopnut. What's the trick here?

-- mike elliott, on a Labor Day weekend with (clearly) nothing better
to do.

There is a special tool for the job.

Thanks, Wayne -- what's the tool?

-- mike elliott