Old July 10th 08, 10:48 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.racing

Default Steel frames and le Tour

On Thu, 10 Jul 2008 14:00:54 -0700 (PDT), Jay Beattie
wrote:

On Jul 10, 11:21*am, wrote:
On Jul 10, 1:04*pm, John Forrest Tomlinson
wrote:

And here's a surrogate. *Find a single example of a pro tour or
continental level pro team using a steel frame in any UCI-level race
in Europe. *Try it. *Can you find even one? *

I know that I can't find one. *It would be interesting to hear from
anyone who has. *Yesterday bfd replied with Dede Barry's 2002 world
cup frame as an example of a steel frame that was used successfully in
pro-level competetion. *That's nearly 6 years ago though.

I would be quite surpised if a steel frame were used by anyone in a
Grand Tour. *I like and appreciate the ride qualities of a good steel
frame but at that level of competetion I would guess that any benefits
they provide in terms of "comfort" would be more than negated by those
provided by a lighter, stiffer carbon frame. *I might be less
surprised to find out that someone used a modern steel frame in a race
like Paris-Roubaix.

Steel was used in Paris-Roubaix in 2006. See http://tinyurl.com/z4w5y
Note the cyclocross-like bike further down the page with conventional
32 spoke wheels, tied and soldered. Jobst would give them an ear
full! -- Jay Beattie.

Dear Jay,

Nice find!

Cheers,