Old November 22nd 11, 07:42 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Doug[_3_]

Default Three quarters of motorists don't think cyclists should pay road tax

On Nov 21, 10:29*pm, The Medicated Handyman
wrote:
most motorists appear to have the common sense to realise that
discouraging cycling will only make life worse for them

only 25% are too stupid to see the obvious

http://uk.autoblog.com/2011/11/21/a-...want-cyclists-...

"Where to start? Motorists don't pay road tax - they pay car tax. Roads
are paid for from general and local taxation, so everyone pays. Vehicle
Excise Duty, which I assume is what they mean, is emissions based, so
cycles would be zero rated if they were included. Most adult cyclists
are motorists too, so they do pay VED for a car they're not driving when
they cycle. Motorists kill hundreds of cyclists a year; the reverse is
almost unheard of. And, at worst, cyclists delay motorists from joining
the back of the next jam (that the cyclist shortened by not driving).
Consfused? I'll say they are."

I was saddened to be reminded that 'Most adult cyclists are motorists
too'. How can they, with any clear conscience, climb back behind the
wheel after sampling cycling in Britain today, to rejoin the ranks of
the potential killers and injurers who treat cyclists as scum?

Doug.