Old December 17th 08, 10:31 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.soc,alt.mountain-bike,rec.bicycles.rides
Jay Beattie

Default Minnesota Winters

On Dec 17, 2:15*pm, "
wrote:
On Dec 17, 1:59*pm, Jay Beattie wrote:

On Dec 17, 6:08*am, "

wrote:
On Dec 17, 7:41*am, jim beam wrote:

On Mon, 15 Dec 2008 15:25:07 -0800, Jay Beattie wrote:

snip for clarity

On a somewhat tech note, I went to put on my (car) snow wheels on
Saturday, and my aluminum rims had welded to the iron hubs. *Should have
used my anti-seize! *Getting those mo-fos off was a monumental PIA, but
finally got it done.

actually pretty easy to do this - simply loosen the lug nuts a couple of
turns, then go drive around the block. *a couple of hard braking episodes
will break free the stubbornest of rusted wheels.

God Danged Jim. *Thats the only intelligent thing you've ever posted
on this forum.

I did that, and it worked with the front wheel but not the rear
wheel. *I had to take additional measures for the rear wheel,
including putting some Liquid Wrench between the rim and hub and
engaging in the telephone book rhumba -- you loosen the lug nuts and
then drive the stuck wheel over a phone book, back and forth. *Then
you kick the wheel in strategic locations. *That finally worked. Or
maybe it was the swearing that did it.

Anyway, I rode to work on my new, cheap-o Innova ice tires today. *Not
going to win any races on those fatties, but, wow, they really do work
well on ice. *I was getting a little too cocky and almost wiped out.
They are not good on dry pavement, though. *They squirm and float
quite a bit, and the tread is not that straight -- or else it looks
crooked because the tires are slowly blowing off my svelt Open Pros.
That happened when I was blowing one up, but the tube is so beefy that
at 60psi, a 4" section just bulged out and sat there.

*It's *near white-out looking out my office window, so I guess I will
have plenty of fresh snow and ice for the ride home.-- Jay Beattie.

I'm using my new Schwalbe Marathon Winter 700x35 studded tires. *They
ride perfectly fine on dry pavement. *In loose snow, such as on the
side of the road after the cars have pounded it for awhile, they can
get squirrely. *Ice or dry pavement, great traction. *They are slower
than regular tires. *Partly because I only put 35 psi in them to allow
them to flatten out as much as possible and get all 4 rows of studs in
contact with the ground.

http://www.amazon.com/Schwalbe-Marat...ck/dp/B00113L8...

http://www.peterwhitecycles.com/studdedtires.asp- Hide quoted text -

Those Schwalbe look mighty nice (I have the Schwalbe Blizzards on this
bike for ordinary riding), but they are two to three times the price I
paid for my beater Innovas. If I lived in Minnesota, I might make the
investment. Bike Tires Direct has a whole slew of ice tires including
the Schwalbe. http://www.biketiresdirect.com/searc...?ss=330&cat=su

I just felt that in these tough economic times, I should support
Chinese industry. And melamine gives me added grip on ice. -- Jay
Beattie.