Old April 24th 13, 09:14 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Dave - Cyclists VOR

Default Help - very specific tool required

On 24/04/2013 20:42, Mrcheerful wrote:
Judith wrote:
My friend has what I believe is known as an "Auto centre punch". It
doesn't require a hammer to make the punched hole.

I have a very specific requirement for punching single holes through
pieces of rubber. The diameter of the hole is not important - as
long as I can make the hole very quickly with the minimum of fuss.
Something like : apply tool to rubber item - press hard - hole made.

Does the team think that an "Auto centre punch" would do the job? Do
you think I could sharpen the point to make it more needle like - but
it still do its job. I don't want to use it just once or twice; but
need to use it on a very regular basis.

(Apologies for making the post in the cycling newsgroup - but I know
that some people here have many good ideas - much lateral thinking)

No, it would not do the job, an auto centre punch requires to be pressed
against a solid object in order to work, even if the rubber was backed by
heavy steel it is unlikely to penetrate rubber unless it was very thin. A
dart on the end of a stick would probably do what you require.

Mr C is right, they need resistance.

Can I suggest a battery/gas nail gun like the Paslode?

vehicle fit only for the poor and/or strange," Dave Horton, of Lancaster
University, wrote in an interim assessment of the Understanding Walking
and Cycling study. "For them, cycling is a bit embarrassing, they fail
to see its purpose, and have no interest in integrating it into their
lives, certainly on a regular basis."