Old October 21st 14, 02:28 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

Default Dynohub drag

On Monday, October 20, 2014 3:25:07 PM UTC-7, James wrote:
On 21/10/14 01:31, jbeattie wrote:

What I'm getting at is that with a dyno light, you have an inherently

hobbled light.

Especially now with LEDs, I disagree.

If it is StVZO compliant, it is purposefully hobbled

in terms of its output.

Not at all. It's only "hobbled" in terms of how much light is allowed

to reach other road users eyes. IIRC, there's no limit on how much

light hits the road.

Mine for example, produces 80lux at 10m as the horizontal straight ahead

intensity.

What light are you using again? I'm not wanting to wire multiple headlights that flicker on climbs or fire-up after I'm off the stop. I've already got 3 LEDs that fire up at different speeds.

Whatever you may think of battery lights, I could strap my battery light back on the bike and ride for 11 hours with a reasonably well shaped 300 lumen beam -- not StVZO but not a Chinese flashlight either. No fuss, no muss -- no flickering, outages at stops. None of that. Well made US lights are not by definition round beam retina burners -- unless your running a trail light at maximum output. I don't know what your mates are running, but my battery lights have garnered no complaints from motorists or other cyclist. There was a bum on a park bench who complained about my flasher, but I was trying to chase him off anyway. Flashers are a different problem.

-- Jay Beattie.