Old July 2nd 20, 01:54 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Oculus Lights

Default New CCFL, 26650, 18650, or 3AA

On Wednesday, July 1, 2020 at 4:27:57 PM UTC-7, sms wrote:
On 7/1/2020 8:41 AM, sms wrote:

snip

Of course it will work. They say that because Lithium-Ion Phosphate
batteries and Lithium batteries have a nominal voltage of 3.2V and since
3.2V/2=1.6V that's about the same as a standard AA cell (1.2V for NiMH
and 1.6V for lithium─I also read about something called a NiCad battery
in my history book which was 1.2V as well, but I'm too young to remember
NiCad batteries). That's where the 2:1 ratio comes from.

Oops, 1:1 ratio. (3.2V + 0V)/2=1.6V

But you could certainly use two dummy batteries and a 3.6V Li-Ion
battery to replace three 1.2V-1.6V AA cells. And of course that's what
the flashlights that can use one Li-Ion battery or three AA or AAA cells
are essentially doing. And even using one 3.6V Li-Ion cell in place of
two 1.2-1.6V AA cells would work fine in many devices where the voltage
has a pretty wide range and the device has a switching regulator inside..

2:1 ratio. (3.6V + 0V + 0V)/2=1.2V

My Oculus optics are among the most "lumen efficient" when talking about beam patterns, and usefulness of lower lumen levels if projected well. Or just trolling for me to say something, never know with your comments(-:
One little scam that bike light lumen ratings use to cheat their ratings, is to only measure for 30 seconds. So lights that cook the LED for 30 seconds before a thermal dimmer kicks in, can measure more than twice, sometimes five times, what the LED can sustain after the first 30 seconds.
Bike light makers still claim total lumens despite splattering glare all over the place with an overbearing bright round spot in the middle. Much of the claimed lumens is wasted, too dim on the edges, too bright in the center, for the eyes to deal with effectively.
If you took the "Beam Lumens" and "Field Lumens"
https://www.ledtronics.com/TechNotes...tes.aspx?id=13
of any of these cheapo, and many not so cheap (including L&M and Night Rider), lights, you would find that an Oculus outputs many higher Beam Lumens and Field Lumens than other lights with the same claimed overall lumens.
The Oculus beam accomplishes this by spreading what would be a hot bright spot in the middle, while harvesting what would be glare around the edges back into the sides of the main beam.
While LEDs are rated at 85C, and most bike lights let the unit cook close to that temperature with ambient air passing over, Oculus cools down to ~45C when in motion 6MPH, with about 15% greater brightness than rated LED output.
The lowest settings on the Oculus lights are either 30 or 70 lumens, with burn times exceeding 24 hours. At the 24 Hour World TT Championships, winners averaging 20mph have used a 375+ lumen level, with 6+ hours burn time.
Barry