Old November 2nd 04, 11:13 AM
Tuschinski

John Forrest Tomlinson Wrote:
On Sun, 24 Oct 2004 20:14:32 GMT, "B. Lafferty"
wrote:

"John Forrest Tomlinson" wrote in message
.. .
On Sun, 24 Oct 2004 16:46:25 GMT, "B. Lafferty"
wrote:

Machines in the 1980s were in the 17lb-18lb range.

That was not typical, most top-level racing bikes were heavier..

I should probably revise that up a bit. But, in 1978 I bought an
Austro-Daimler Ultima (Reynold 531 with full Campy Super Record) in a

62cm
frame and it weighed just under 20lbs.

I don't believe it. Unless it was some particulary rare configuration
of 531 your scales were off

JT

****************************
Remove "remove" to reply
Visit http://www.jt10000.com

I saw (held) some of those Ultra-Light 531 bikes (albeit 58cm and
less). Considering the frame isn't the end-all of bike weigth I believe
his claim easily. I also know that Van Impe, Merckx, Zoetemelk and Breu
used ultralight "climbing"-bikes wich were around 7 kgs or so. I assume
that other pros as Ocana, Thevenet, Hinault, Martin, Seznec and
Agostinho had comparable material.

--
Tuschinski