Old April 19th 21, 09:20 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Kunich[_4_]

Default Bleeding Avid Brakes

I watched a youtube video on how to bleed Avid brakes in particular.

He made a couple of good points. 1. If your brake shoes aren't worn, as in your initial bleeding if you leave the wheels in with the disks in the new shoes, you don't really need to go through all the foofaraw of getting and inserting that block that keeps the brake pistons all the way in. 2. The important thing is getting all of the air out of the lines. This requires a little practice on Avid's but Shimano Road disks are very easy to bleed.

My experience is that you have to be extremely careful to get either Avid brand hydraulic hose or SRAM or Shimano. I don't know if Campy has the same fittings but I expect so. Chinese brand hoses are slightly larger and you can't get the fittings over the hoses.

Once you get the knack of bleeding flat bar brakes it is quite easy. So initially it might be a bit frustrating to bleed your own brakes, but when you get the equipment and a little practice it is quite easy. I waited all week so that I could think about what I was doing wrong and then this morning it only took about an hour to get it all working correctly.

I bought a set of Torx from TECKMAN since the bleed ports require a Torx 10.. TECKMAN magnetizes these drivers so that it is difficult to drop and lose the tiny fittings and that is really handy for people as clumbsy as I've become in my old age.