Old May 16th 19, 03:48 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
SMS

Default HOW DANGEROUS IS CYCLING? DEPENDS ON WHICH NUMBERS YOU EMPHASISE.

On 5/15/2019 6:33 PM, James wrote:

snip

I don't think anyone I know is an anti-helmet zealot.Â*Â* Some people
zealously disagree with mandating helmet use for cycling.Â* They would be
anti-MHL zealots.Â* I m probably one of them.

There are also MHL zealots and plain vanilla helmet zealots.

Helmets are a gloriously polarising subject.

I think that most of us here do not favor mandatory helmet laws. But by
the same token, most of us here don't deny the benefit that helmets
provide in head-impact crashes, and we recognize that most people choose
to wear them.

An AHZ makes up strange stories about walking helmets and gardening
helmets, insisting that any activity with any element of danger should
have safety equipment that brings the level of risk to an equal level
with bicycling.

An AHZ insists that cyclists that choose to wear helmets are
discouraging others from cycling because the presence of a helmet may
indicate to others that cycling is especially dangerous.

There have been plenty of AHZs posting in r.b.t.. You may not know any
AHZs personally, nor do I. But they do exist, and they are very vocal.